General Information on Qualifying Requirements for New Zealand eTA

Have a hassle-free trip by applying for a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (eTA) with us! The overall process is easy and you already pre-qualify if you are a citizen of any country listed below, or a United States national. In most situations, getting approval is as simple as having a valid passport, being in good physical and financial health, and being able to answer a set of simple screening questions.


Please confirm your travel documents are valid for at least 6 more months.


Check you are in good health, or you have the suited treatment for your condition prescribed by your doctor already.


For NZeTA, please note you cannot have any criminal or immigration-related convictions.


At the same time, you do not qualify for an NZeTA, if in the past you have been refused a visa, a permit, denied entry to, or ordered to leave New Zealand or any other country.


You cannot apply for an NZeTA, if in the last 2 years, you were diagnosed with tuberculosis or if you have been in close contact with a person diagnosed with tuberculosis.


After you arrive in New Zealand, make sure you provide honest answers to all the questions raised by the border officer. These questions are usually related to the ties that will take you back to your home country, after your visit to New Zealand — current job details, home situation, financial assets, family info.


If asked, clarify the details of your travel, present any booked hotels, trips or plane tickets, making it easy to see that you will leave New Zealand at the end of your visit. Double-check that your hotel reservations and any bookings in general, are easily accessible to you while you are on the go.


Prior to departure, make sure you have an amount of money in your bank account, which you will use to support yourself during your stay. Improvise a way that allows you to easily show this to the border officer, if they request it.

The Following Countries have Special Eligibility Criteria

If you belong to any of the countries below, please pay attention to this section, as you will need some specific documents to be able to apply and successfully obtain an eTA for traveling to New Zealand. (If you do not have these documents and you cannot obtain them, you can always try to apply for a visitor VISA.


» Must be a citizen.

Hong Kong

» Residents with HKSAR or British National–Overseas passports only.


» Must be a citizen.


» Must be a citizen.


» Must have a Macau Special Administrative Region passport.


» Must have the right to live permanently in Portugal.


» You must be a permanent resident.

United Kingdom

» You have to have the right to reside permanently in the United Kingdom.

United States

» Includes USA nationals.